HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Clutch conversion - cable to hydraulic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Clutch conversion - cable to hydraulic Reply with quote

This iis a problem with going to a newer motor, Nissans , and probably others too.

The gearbox end of the thing is simple, however the clutch pedal end is trickier. I have seen some bodgy jobs done that dont work nicely at all.

It looks like simply using a suitable master cylinder, though the Gem firewall is not exactly well shaped to put it right in front of the clutch pedal.

Is ther anyone here who has done the job, that can give me some useful specifics?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch conversion - cable to hydraulic Reply with quote

i need to know how to do it aswell for my sr20.
thnax Gene
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch conversion - cable to hydraulic Reply with quote

after market pedal kits may be the answer, a mate has them fitted to his esky, race car, not bad either and you can get the brake booster out of the way with the right kit.

I don't think there will be enough room for the cylinder and fluid reso with the SR20 conversion, may be look into using a cable system, how hard will it it be t adapt?

cheers
Eggy
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch conversion - cable to hydraulic Reply with quote

Very hard.

You dont need a reservoir on the master you use, you could just run a feed off your brake system.

A cable system pulls, the hydraulic lever pushing the clutch release lever in the g/box must be pushed to wards tthe back of the car (opposite direction). Also, with all these turbos coming out, the clutch have a higher clamping force, and its much nicer to use them with a hydraulic setup. That is why they are so common now, I would assume. Going back to cable would be a backward step. Im sure the hydraulic setup will allow you to slip a turbo clutch as easily as a stock Gemmy clutch. Even a girl should be able to drive it. No sexist comments please.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch conversion - cable to hydraulic Reply with quote

Keep us up to date with this conversion. I , and others Im sure, would liek to follow your progress with this. What stage are you at? IS the motor sitting in the bay on modified mounts yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: