HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gilmer Drive "Effect"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Gilmer Drive "Effect" Reply with quote

I have heard some people mention about drilling holes in the alternator fan to give the kind of sound a gilmer drive would make...without forking out a heap of money!

I've searched for anything on it but can't find anything

Where exactly do you drill etc...anyone know??

Thanx
NeWaZ
turbs
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gilmer Drive "Effect" Reply with quote

dude, thats one of the gayest things i have ever heard. Its like getting one of those electronic devices to make your NA motor sound like it has a blow off valve. This makes you look even more stupid when your running the quater in 20 flat. If you want the sound then get a gilmer drive. if you want a gilmer drive, make it worth while and get a supercharger. People who opt for these crap things like exhaust tips to make you car sound mean just dont work and you get laughed at. A lot. By everybody. They suck and are a waste of money.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gilmer Drive "Effect" Reply with quote

lol like the riced up lancer getting beaten by the 120y datto Smile This from my mate marty today he lives in ACT with a mustard color datto and it does 16's. You ACT boys have been warned.
(MARTY:) but few sets of lights later i foudn a riced up lancer exhaust body kit stereo etc by the time i was half way through 3rd it was all over he backed off n hung wayyyy back i slowed down for him to catch up
sime
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gilmer Drive "Effect" Reply with quote

hahahahahahahha datto pwr Smile
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: good one , turbs Reply with quote

we ve needed a post like that for a while , I was just waiting to see who would be game enough to make it. IT reminds me of those stupid lights like that car David Hasselhoff had on that black car in the KnightRider, and lets face it, he's about as gay as you can get. You still see the occasional wanker who has them on his car, but thankfully hardly ever.

And theres only one thing more ugly than a 120Y, and thats a mustard 120Y.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: good one , turbs Reply with quote

are you gonna tell use what u drive?
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: good one , turbs Reply with quote

I prefer the old 120Y to a stretched out BMW.
But hey thats just me
- -
0 0
<
\___/
GEM2NV
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: good one , turbs Reply with quote

how about someone just answer the fucken question instead of bagging the guy. This is exactly why people are getting fed up with this forum because these days almost every post is sarcastic or just bullshit. If its not help or informative, dont post it
Stoktg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: good one , turbs Reply with quote

"drilling holes in the alternator fan to give the kind of sound a gilmer drive would make"
Seriously, how can you answer that type of question? Think of the sort of hole that will whistle when air passes through it. Drill that into you fan.
If thats the sort of thing you want to do, you dont deserve to own a car.
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: Both good points... Reply with quote

see above ^^

so, agree to disagree! if the guy wants do drill a hole and make it sound tuff, GO 4 IT!

if guys wana cruze penrith with MASSIVE intercoolers ment 4 trucks, GO 4 IT! i wont, but if they wana hey, im not gunna stop em.

do what makes you happy.

if you disagree with "drilling holes in your alternator to make it sound like a gilmer drive" fair enough, but if he wants it then....

THATS WHAT THIS FORUM IS FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so give the brother a chance.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gilmer Drive "Effect" Answer Reply with quote

Un-bolt the pulley from the alternator and cooling fan attatched for it as well, grab a drill with an asortment of drill bits, choose a preferable size to drill into the fan blades, maybe put 2 or 3 holes on each blade of the cooling fan, or alternatively just drill every second blade. Just as a precaution, try to make the holes evenly spaced and matching on the blade directly opposite it in case balancing is an issue. Bolt it all back up, and you should have a whirring gilmer sound while driving. I'd say that different sized holes would create different types of pitches too - the smaller the hole the higher the pitch and vice-versa for larger holes. Also another precaution to take, the fan is used to cool the alternator, so try not to cut loose with too many holes as cooling the alternator will be harder for the fan.

Cheers,
Jasyn...
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Both good points... Reply with quote

what exactly is a gilmer drive? like a cheap supercharger or somthen. im a bit to young to have seen knight rider Smile
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Both good points... Reply with quote

gears instead of belts. sounds real tough!
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Both good points... Reply with quote

Actually a gilmer drive is a toothed belt, a bit like a wide timing belt, that replaces the v-belt that runs your water pump and alternator. Similar to the belt they run on superchargers with similar noise but without the grunt!
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Gilmer Drive "Effect" Answer Reply with quote

WOW an actual answer from someone that doesn't just come on here to bag the shit outta ppl when all they want to do is to find out about things OTHER ppl do to their geminis.

The reason i asked the original fucking questions was because i had heard other people on this site mention doing this to their cars...not once did i say i was going to do it...i simply wanted to know more about it. and now i know about it i wont be doing it

once again i'm sorry for asking a question and should have known i'd just be bagged out

thanx!
NeWaZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: