HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

G200 Rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurboGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: G200 Rebuild Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I am looking for some guidence on the rebuild for my G200. I don't want bulk heaps of power but I would like abit more. I am currently running the stock engine with extractors and a 32/36 weber. When I do the bottom end I was going to get it dynamically balanced and lighted the flywheel. What I need to know is what to do with the top end. I have a TX 1600 head at home. would it be possible to put that on the G200 and still run pump fuel or would the compression ratio be too high. Also what sort of cam should I look at, It is just for my runabout, so could anyone recommend someone to do a regrind on the cam in Brisbane. I know there are alot of questions but some guidence would be appreciated.

Cheers
Paul Nelson
joee joe joe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 Rebuild Reply with quote

my engine is exactly what you've described. the head goes on fine, no compression problems (you dont have to run different fuel), one water gallery doesnt line up properly but that doesn't matter just make sure you get it machined so its flat and shuv it on.
tim
TurboGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 Rebuild Reply with quote

Tim,
Are you running a performance cam or anything like that? What sort of power would you estimate you are putting out with your current setup. I was think I would like somewhere around the 130-140hp mark. Is this acheivable with what I have or is this just wishfull thinking??

Cheers
Paul
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 Rebuild Reply with quote

A stock 1600 head on a stock G200 block will give you about 10.0:1. You will be OK on unleaded with normal driving, but if you cane it at high revs, you'll get pinging. You'll have to use a higher octane fuel in that case.
joee joe joe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 Rebuild Reply with quote

mine isnt that powerful.
it has a big cam, ported, alloy rockers (weather or not that makes a difference) and has otherwise been rebuilt. i just put it straight onto a stock G200 with the G200 head gasket and mine has extractors and a down draft webber, thats about it. it hasn't been properly tuned though and that may make a difference. i dont really know how much power it has.
from tim
Andrew65
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 Rebuild Reply with quote

Where do you get high octane fuel? without going to optimax(cost too much).
Or would you use octane booster(which one)????
TurboGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 Rebuild Reply with quote

Guys,
thanks for your help on this matter. I would hate to think that I would have gone to the trouble of doing up the G200 head only to find out that the 1600 would have been a better option......actually is it a better option than the 2lt head? I know there is the compression advantage but what about port size, valve size ect. Any cam recomendations? I spose the good old 30/70 should do the job or could I run something a bit bigger with the weber and extractors..

Cheers
Paul
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 Rebuild Reply with quote

hopefully some of these details will help. i dunno. Just some specs of my G200.

http://www.geocities.com/mygemi/gemi_build_9

cheers
Adam
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 Rebuild Reply with quote

Use Optimax/BP Premium, whatever you can. It isn't that much more expensive than LRP and ULP. The extra you pay, the extra you save, not to mention a slight performance gain. Using an octane booster would prove more expensive and more of a pain in the ass.

The argument of LRP vs ULP vs PULP is well documented here, do a search Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: