HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Alternator/Battery/Starter Probs - Some Wierd Shit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Alternator/Battery/Starter Probs - Some Wierd Shit Reply with quote

this post is similar to the one below.

now, when i take my gem out, around the corner, or even for a long drive, it starts when it's cold, no problems ever, even if i leave it for a week or more, it turns over, and starts straight away, the charging guage is at about 13 when the car is going and has some decent 2500-3000 revs, the temperature sits on half, and when i turn it off, lights off an everythin, try start it 10 secs or 5 mins later, while it's still hot, the gem won't even turn over, the alternator just starts making a clicking sound if you hold the ignition for a few seconds.

i have had to push several times, and it's starting to shit me.

anybody with any ideas on what to do, or how to fix this, just hit the reply button and type away, plz pplz.

thanx. chris.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator/Battery/Starter Probs - Some Wierd Reply with quote

That clicking is the solenoid on the starter, NOT your alternator. At least that means the ignition switch is triggering the solenoid as it should.
IF the starter wont rotate intermittently, then either
1. the starter motor needs a reco.
2. OR the cable from the battery +ve terminal to the starter motor is not providing consistent power. (is it kinked, in good nick, shorting out on the chassis?)

Take the cable out and have a good look at every inch of it. Check the resistance with a multimeter. IF thats OK, then just buy a second hand start motor (I think the wreckers would do em for $25 Ask em to test it b4 u take it). Its not worth spending $80 or more on a reco.
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/Battery/Starter Probs - Some Wierd Reply with quote

yea, but it starts perfectly when it's cold, it only has a cry when it's warmed up?
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/Battery/Starter Probs - Some Wierd Reply with quote

yeah thats same wit mine sometimes...

i got the nrma guy to come out just then and he said that i just neeed to get a regulator, and if that doesn't work a new alternator...
how can u test alternator's to see if they work urself?
RJM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/Battery/Starter Probs - Some Wierd Shit Reply with quote

Sounds like the alternator is on its way out. Check that is charging the battery with a multimeter. Should see 14v or more when you rev the motor. Could even be the battery, or a loos connection. Check the levels in the battery, if the electrolite is lower than the lead plates, its fucked.
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/Battery/Starter Probs - Some Wierd Shit Reply with quote

i'll get a new battery with a 2yr warranty, and if it still fuks up, change the brushes, and after that, start fiddlin with the starter.

chris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: