HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

16" RIMS AND BIGGER?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macca_loto
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: 16" RIMS AND BIGGER? Reply with quote

Im looking at buying a Te gemini for $1500 worked motor,stereo nice paint/body (body twisted 10mm) but it has nice 16" rims on it and i cant have them i have been told that 15's are the biggest as all geminis came out with 13's and you can only go 2 inches ove the biggest factory wheel the car came out with so this means that 15's are the biggest but how do all you guys/girls get away with 16's and 17's and the car still be legal? ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: 16" RIMS AND BIGGER? Reply with quote

easy u dont say a word to the cops that there 16s. if there smart enough to figure out that there 16s and geminis came out wit 13s i take my aht off to em. 17s are abit suss though
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" RIMS AND BIGGER? Reply with quote

To my knowledge you are allowed any diameter as long as the rolling diameter (with lower profile tyres) is within a certain range. You are only allowed 1 inch over standard width here in Vic. That is 1 inch over the maximum width of the widest wheel offered by that model.

On that note, what were the wheel widths on the CDT specials? Or do they not count?
fright
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" RIMS AND BIGGER? Reply with quote

Like Benjamin said, in Vic you just need to be careful of rim width - don't go an 1 inch over if you want to keep it legal. This might be different depending on where you are.

To be honest, I'd keep the 16s and search your local wrecker for some cheap 13" stockies with rwc rubber on them. On the off chance that you ever get dicked for the 16s, chuck the 13s on, get the canary removed, and continue on your merry way. 16s certainly feel more sure-footed than 13s Smile

Most regular cops won't pick the size problem, TMU/TOG will though. It's at the cop's disgression to present you with a fine ($165 i think?) too.

FRiGHT
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" RIMS AND BIGGER? Reply with quote

qld u can only got 2 inchs over the stndard diameter meaning 15's are the bigest, cops will only pic on ya if u piss em of and catch em on a bad day, i garantee that if u took it to get a road worthy with 17" rims and there was no scrubing it would pass, so its not like its a full on law, but it is a law and u "can" be booked for it.
gene
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" RIMS AND BIGGER? Reply with quote

but then again u can be booked for anything!!
CuGem was telling me he knows a guy who got done for not aveing a gaer nob that has a H on it ( u know the little 1,2,3,4,5,R diagram to show where the gears are in the box.) pathetic.
gene
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" RIMS AND BIGGER? Reply with quote

ive heard a story about somebody who has been booked for not having enough water in there window washer bottle
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" RIMS AND BIGGER? Reply with quote

Actually fella's, the law in victoria is that you can go 1" wider in wheel width, and only 2" greater in wheel diameter. There is also a rule that states the rolling radius can not be changed by more than 25mm.

It is all listed in VSI 8, available from any vicroads office or their website.

I have 16's on my gem, and have been queried that they were too large, I told the officer that the largest factory rim was 14x6, meaning my 16x7's would be legal. He then tried to tell me you can only go 1" greater in wheel diameter over standard specs, be neither of us had any documentation to prove otherwise, so he didn't book me.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: