HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Engine change...some Q's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fromfy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Engine change...some Q's Reply with quote

Hi guys, I am thinking of getting a 2 lt engine for my TE as I've blown the head gasket on my 1600 and thought it's bout time to get the 2lt I planned on.

My questions are:

1.)Will I need any form of engineers certificate before I put the slightly larger engine in?

2.)Would the 2lt bolt straight in, or would things like engine mounts or lining up with the gearbox make things difficult? Or, is there ANYTHING that I would need to change before putting the new engine in?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine change...some Q's Reply with quote

Whether or not you require an engineers certificate depends on what state you have the car registered.

To drop on a SOHC G200, you simply use the engine mounts from the 1600. You may want to use the alternator bracket as well if using your old alternator.
fromfy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine change...some Q's Reply with quote

I am in Victoria/reg. in Vic...would you know whether I would need a cert.?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine change...some Q's Reply with quote

You will need an engineers certificate if one of the two applies, the engine has a power increase of more than 10% over the original 1600, or if the vehicle the 2 litre came from has a different set of emmision regulations it must meet.

ie, if you have an ADR 27C vehicle (it will say on your compliance plate), you can put the engine from another ADR 27C complying vehicle in your car, provided the power/torque isn't increased by more than 10%, and you dont need an engineers certificate.

You need one for virtually all other situations. Also, this info can be found on the vicroads website within Vehicle Standards Information (VSI) 8.

Ben Wight
fromfy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine change...some Q's Reply with quote

By any chance, would you have any engines in mind that I could use? If so, what are they from and if you've got ideas on prices, that'd kick ass too!

Also, I wouldn't mind an 1800 either...just thought that the 2 lt would be better. If I could put an 1800 in without needing a cert. then it would be good.

Thanks for the help so far.

Andrew.
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine change...some Q's Reply with quote

u can put a g180 in, bore it 2 a 2000cc they won't notice nethin. and thats if u get pulled ova

chris...
fromfy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine change...some Q's Reply with quote

Would I be able to put the 1800 in without certificates and stuff?
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine change...some Q's Reply with quote

yep, absoluty, go with a g180 don't put any uda 1800 in
fromfy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine change...some Q's Reply with quote

Sweet...how do they go compared to the stock 1.6lt engines?

Do you have any info on em, like power...umm...stuff in general I guess...

Thanks heaps for the help guys.

Andrew
Simmo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine change...some Q's Reply with quote

You will not need a engineers certificate for a 2L engine.
Ben is right, technically you should, but because the engine is from the same family and not much bigger 99% of times no one at rego will care. Alot of people think that the 2L was a optional extra anyway.

If in doubt just ring up your rego place and ask them, all i had to do was notify them of the new engine number.

Hope this helps, Simmo/
Gemluva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: FFS Reply with quote

Do your own fucking research you lazy little cunt, I mean seriously, if you can't find even the basic details about the engine for yourself, are we actually meant to believe you are going to perform the swap?
fromfy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: FFS Reply with quote

I wasn't going to perform the swap myself fuck-head...did I say I was going to? I said I was having an engine CHANGE.

I didn't want to go out and buy an engine and then have someone go to fit it and then have them tell me that I would need a certificate before it could go in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: