HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

I need advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
champo
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: I need advice Reply with quote

Hey all, basically my problem is that I recently took my four speed box out of my te and replaced it with a five. I have since found that it doesn't go as hard. Some have told me that my 1600 motor doesn't have the power to push fifth efficiently, so basically it pushes up to 140-150 in fourth but once you hit fifth, it barely moves. Others have told me that it's because of the diff, apparently a five speed runs steeper gearing in the diff, so getting a five speed diff will solve the problem. I'm also told that running a diff out of an auto will improve the mid range power. anyone that can help out at all would be much appreciated.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: I need advice Reply with quote

all diffs are the same. its got nothing to do with it.
5th gear is an "over drive" gear. its not ment to "go hard" in 5th
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I need advice Reply with quote

yeah I realised that it was an over drive but nonetheless it's lost power allround, top end, 1/4 mile, why, shouldn't it improve it slightly, I'll stand corrected though, as I'm only going on what other people have told me, I've only ever run a four speed in the past. I could hit 170 with the four, only 150-160 with the five, and it takes heaps longer to get there.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I need advice Reply with quote

maybe u should stop speeding on public streets ay?

5sp and 4sp have different rations in them. thats why
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I need advice Reply with quote

alright, thanks mate.
Corty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I need advice Reply with quote

Champo,
i think Gene got it slightly wrong there is no difference between a late model 4spd and 5spd in ratio acept for 5 gear

so below
Early 4spd Late 4spd 5spd Petrol 5spd Diesel
1st :3.51 3.79 3.79 3.48

2nd :2.18 2.18 2.18 1.99

3rd :1.42 1.42 1.42 1.36

4th :1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00

5th :n/a n/a 0.86 0.86

Its just a ratio difference i don't believe there any better or stronger than a stanard petrol boxs. the reason for use is in for instance a rally car you want closer ratios and also seeing u drive more in 2/3 gear u want the acceleration and punch out of the corners
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I need advice Reply with quote

um no!! tool, rear the question, i got it right. i was talking about diffs not g/boxs.
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Who calling who a TOOL Reply with quote

Hey Gene,

maybe you should read what u have written here it is in Black and white

Gene said
"maybe u should stop speeding on public streets ay?

5sp and 4sp have different rations in them. thats why"

And i did read it and i couldn't Rear it mate.

And if u check i am prett sure the only difference in the Diff ratio is between Diesel and petrol

ie Diesel are 3.55 and petrol a 3.9

So watch who you are calling a tool

Cause the only tool in this thread is yourself and you certainly ain;t the sharpest tool in the shed

Corty
dunger
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: TOLD Reply with quote

yer that told yer

hahahahaha
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: TOLD Reply with quote

no it didnt, cos some one cant read "propa"

im fucking right mate
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: dont worry Reply with quote

man dont worry we are all species of them gemini's we love care and respect each other peace my brother

(nathan runs into the forest i mean drag strip and and does heavy nasty 1st second gear change sideways)

westside nigga's

niggas suck ( the ones that mug ya anyway )
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: dont worry Reply with quote

"niggas suck " <---- watch ya mouth cunt
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: re:i need advice Reply with quote

oh and desiels dont have 3.55:1 they 4.11:1
Corty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: I need advice Reply with quote

Gene,
Lets get it right

Read all the post again like i just did and tell your not wrong

In one post you said "all the diff are the same" --- TRUE

In the nexting posting from you you said "4spd and 5spd have different ratios" ---- WRONG

Plain and simply i wasn't tryin to put shit on you or slag you off i was simple correcting you and informing the guy that all the ratio except 5th are the same in 4 and 5 spds

So don't go on like a to bob watch. the only bloke that looking like atool at the moment is yourself for goin on about such a trival subject.

Also mate it a public forum so i would sugguest you keep your language down and not slag people off as it not a good way to keep members.

Corty
dunger
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: dont worry Reply with quote

NIGGAS are the ones that are shit i am not saying all black people are shit i am saying that i hate the ones that start shit dont you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini parts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: