HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Another question about pearls..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Another question about pearls.. Reply with quote

Yesterday we mixed in the blue pearl tint into my white. The effect is really subtle but looks nice. A nice blue shimmer to the white. We basically were going for the diamond white colour apparently is on some older fords ?

I've got heaps of pearl left over so I was wondering would it be worth dropping a few drops in the clear too ? I know this is how blue pearl over white is traditionally done but would it conflict with the pearl in the base coat or look ok ?
crazy n disturbed
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about pearls.. Reply with quote

best way is to mix up a very small amout, then spray it out, spray the base color in 2 seperate patches, then spray normal clear over one, then spray the tinted clear over the other, normally it wont make a huge difference tinting a clear with a pearl cos thats what a pear is, its clear with a slight bit of pigment (thats the easyest way to describe it) but that all depends on how much u put in the clear, just a hint if you do tint the clear, put it on then put some normal clear over that, because pearls are like base, the aren't anywhere near as strong as clear, no initially its more work but yea sometimes well worth it, but try it on a seperate panel that has been prepared, that way u know what to expect when u paint the car, good luck mate, hope it turns out nice.

matt
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about pearls.. Reply with quote

I tried it just then and it didnt look so great. The tint looks way better mixed into the white, gives a nice effect I havent seen before.

Thanks for the advice also.
Mr bayce
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about pearls.. Reply with quote

if you have heaps of pearl left over why dont you mix it all into the color?
crazy n disturbed
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about pearls.. Reply with quote

thats good in theory unless u want a slightly yellow paint, with a blue pearl, and it gets worse when u put a pear over the white, NEVA EVA EVA PUT A PEARL OVER WHITE, y u ask? cos it looks shit as, a horrible yellow/orange color car with a really really bright pearl, fucken horrible.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Another question about pearls.. Reply with quote

Well if you mix heaps of pearl into the white it just goes plain blue and you lose the pearl effect.

Im not sure if the tinter we used was an actual pearl, it was just a small blue bottle that looked basically like ink.

After adding to the white it gave the base pearl like qualities. In full sun its bright white and in the shade it is light blue. Under normal light on a complex surface it gives a beautiful combination of white with almost fluro looking light blue. Really weird but looks very cool, very subtle too.

The colour we were trying to emulate was called diamond white.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about pearls.. Reply with quote

Yeah I have HP white on my Gemini and then put 2 coats of Cempearl ? not quite sure of spelling... mixed with clear, the has a subtle pearl effect and a standard looking white,

cheers
Eggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: