HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Av(iation) Gas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brent47
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Av(iation) Gas Reply with quote

If im correct the only places in adelaide to get it from are OG sped shop and parafield airport.....What's the deal with this stuff??..is it worth the $1.50 a litre?? but most importantly do u needa have certain stuff to the engine to run it??? will it do damage??...it's really hi ochtane isnt it??

Cheers a million....brent
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Av(iation) Gas Rocks Reply with quote

i think it is 110 percent Ocatane,

I have never know a turbo motor to use it,

and yes it is expensive, cheap to get a 44 gallon drum of it, $300 a pop there,

need a lot done to the motor to keep it from detonation

regards
brent47
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Av(iation) Gas Rocks Reply with quote

I see so u have to have stuff done to keep it from fucking up??? What do u need to do??? is it really that dangerous on a mildly worked motor??
Danny
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Av(iation) Gas Rocks Reply with quote

isnt detonation caused by low octane.
correct me if im wrong.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Av(iation) Gas Rocks Reply with quote

just becareful wat u say about AVgas as it is illegal to sell it to people with out permits. an u must have a race vechile or aircraft as u can be fined heavily $10 000 and the seller can loose his lic.
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Av(iation) Gas Rocks Reply with quote

"i think it is 110 percent Ocatane"

That's clever, not only does it go all the way being pure octane, but goes the extra 10 percent and creates octane out of thin air! It may have a 110 Octane Rating(don't know?)... this isn't a percent

"need a lot done to the motor to keep it from detonation"

The opposite actually... When you have done a lot to the motor and upped the compression you require a higher octane rated fuel to stop the air/fuel mixture detonating before the spark.
TGCOUPgirl
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Av(iation) Gas Rocks Reply with quote

It would be easier (&safer on engine) to just run Shell Racing Fuel but you still need a CAMS lic. I sell it at work.. Were you just gonna run avgas on the street everyday or what??!

avgas does smell nice though...
brent47
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Av(iation) Gas Rocks Reply with quote

I was just gunna do a half shell optimax half av-gas mix (as i think a straight mix would fuck my engine) for a boot around town(adelaide) on sat night of the long weekend but og-speed shop sez u have to have a racers license to buy it Sad ...I ONLY WANTED HALF A TANK!! :'(

Boring premium petty town run on saturday out

Brent :'(
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Av(iation) Gas Rocks Reply with quote

i'll go in with my work shirt on and buy it, then i'll sell it outta my garage, shhhh dont tell anyone!!
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Revise that one ehh! Reply with quote

Octane rating is 110
peanut buttered
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Av(iation) Gas Rocks Reply with quote

My friend runs his commodore on AVgas because he gets it for free!!

Peanut man
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Revise that one ehh! Reply with quote

you can get avi with an octane rating of 110 and 130. my mate runs hid torana (SLY.10S) on the 130 shit, but he wont say where he gets it from
peanut buttered
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Revise that one ehh! Reply with quote

My family owns an aircraft, and you can get 100/130 Avgas from most airfields that have a pump. Otherwise you will find the rarer 100LL (Low lead) petrol. 100/130 is more compressible than the 100LL. If you come across MOGAS, don't bother because it’s just unleaded petrol.

Peanut man
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Revise that one ehh! Reply with quote

The laws become stricter and the 100/130 avgas is now harder to come by. I know that up here in queensland you can now only get 100LL. As QldRobbo said, its a rating not a percentage and it decreases the problem of detonation, not increases it.
The 100/130 stuff is pointless to run in a car engine unless you have set up your compression and timing to suit it, otherwise you are just wasting money on the fuel and it will run hotter.
However I do run 100LL in my gem sometimes and you can notice the benifets.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Av(iation) Gas Rocks Reply with quote

It's no more exciting running avgas man Razz
Slight performance increase and it smell cooler. If you're running high compression you'll nocite a bit of performance increase
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: